Holy Trinity is a large stone church, built in the
19th century and set in well kept lawned grounds.
The tower is 100ft high and the church narrowly escaped destruction twice during World War II,
sustaining minor damage when bombs demolished nearby buildings, and again when planes flew over
low just missing it!
The interior of the church is very spacious, with tall windows of pastel coloured stained glass, and wood panelling along the walls of the nave, depicting biblical scenes.
The west end of the church as been partitioned off to form a narthex which is on three levels, complete with a lift.
Most of the members
played the organ and their individual choices of music reflected all the
tone colours of the organ, from soft and gentle to the splendid
sound of the full organ. Tea was provided in a room on the ground floor and this was much appreciated by everyone.
The three-manual organ is housed at the south side of the chancel,
with pipe-work facing into both the nave and the chancel.
The console is on the opposite side up in what was once the minstrels' gallery and is hidden from view.
It is accessed by an equally hidden spiral stairway. The console itself is designed in the theatre organ tradition with stop tabs arranged in a horseshoe shape.
The organ has been rebuilt with
alterations and additions made over the years by Compton in 1953,
when the detached console was fitted, and by Michael Farley in
2002. It now has fifty speaking stops, and a large range of
accessories, including a transposer switch.
To see the NPOR details of this organ,
Visit: NPOR Index N10458
If there any stops that you've never heard of, or
wonder what they are, go to: www.organstops.org
Return to Album