A former organ, built by
Dicker of Exeter, was removed to St Peter's Church in Brixham.
The instrument was situated at the west end of the gallery
which ran around three sides of the original Chapel of St
John's erected in 1823.
When the present church was built, the organ was transfered to
the north chancel, but in 1871 is was decided to replace this
instrument with a new one by T. C. Lewis & Co. for £1,695.
However, there appears to have been so many other undertakings
on at the time that the money did not materialise - the
Services being accompanied on a harmonium for two years or so
as the Dicker organ had broken down.
In 1873, a new instrument designed by W. S. Rockstro was built
by William Hill & Son of London at a cost of £1,414.
This organ (blown by a water engine) had 4-manuals, 35-stops,
5-composition pedals and 3-swell pedals. Notably, it had
reversal keys (white sharps and black naturals) and the stops
names were in Latin! It was rebuilt with pneumatic action in
1900 and electric blower was added in 1928. In 1957, a
complete rebuild was carried out by J. W. Walker & Sons.
It was given a new 3-manual attached draw stop console using
conventional stop names and with electro-pneumatic action
throughout, apart from the two swell pedals which remain
The majority of the original solo work was removed to the
choir division. The old console being subsequently given to
the Torquay Museum.
In 1993, a 64-channel piston selector, a solid state key
system, new draw stops solenoids, two adjustable tremulants as
well as a magnificant Tuba were installed.
Recent work included a new
starter system and the re-wiring of the main blower motor.
Within the instrument itself, re-leathering of pallets,
renewing electrical cabling, installing electric stop action
solenoids, fitting Forex plastic sliders to all soundboards
and installing new fluorescent lighting.