The church was built about 1250, probably
on the site of an earlier one. The first known Rector was
appointed about this time. Over the centuries maintaining the
fabric has been a constant problem and an extensive restoration
took place in 1868, when the east window was altered, the roof
renewed, galleries removed and seating replaced. As shown in the
sketch the church was almost destroyed in 1943. The tower, eight
bells, the medieval parclose screens, the organ and the
furnishings were lost.
Rebuilding was completed in 1957 at a cost of £30,000 pounds.
The two former chancel aisles were not replaced. The square
tower built to its former height proved unsatisfactory and had
to be reconstructed at a lower level in 1970.