Humphrey, a priest, was
instituted as Vicar here on 22 February 1259. so there has been
a parish church here for 700 years, and probably much longer
than that. The oldest parts of this building are 14th century.
The Parish Church was mostly rebuilt in 1651, after being nearly
destroyed during the civil wars, is a large and handsome
structure, with a lofty tower, containing six bells, and crowned
by an octagonal spire, the latter of which was erected in 1830,
when the curious old spire was taken down.