The church, was thoroughly 'Victorianised' in 1867 during
renovations directed by the architect Sir George Gilbert
The stone pulpit still carries traces of colour, apparently
from the soil in which it was buried during the Reformation.
St Peter's medieval tower is positioned at the east end of the
church, to the north of the chancel, an oddity shared in North
Devon with Barnstaple and Pilton.