The first organ in St Paul's was a small one
manual and pedal instrument, which was in service for only one
year. It was replaced in 1861 by a new instrument by Hambling of
London. It had two manuals, pedals and stops.
It stood on the south side of the Chancel until 1886, when
it was moved to the opposite side, where it remained until 1897
and was then given a new position in the north transept. In 1908
it finally came to rest back on the south side of the Chancel.
In 1958-9 it was totally rebuilt by Hele & Co at a price of
£3,326. It is a fine three manual and pedal instrument, with
nine speaking stops on the Great, nine on the Swell, eleven on
the Choir and six on the Pedal, also nine couplers and
adjustable thumb and toe pistons.