stone was laid by Bishop Bickersteth on 21st July 1895. The
building is built from many different types of stone including:
Stone from the Ness and Babbacombe, and some from the demolition
of Gowrie House. There is also Polyphant Stone from Cornwall,
Portland Stone and Ham Hill Limestone. The building is 106ft
long, 50ft wide and a Nave 25ft wide.
It has an addition of an
apsidal end on the Chancel and a westward extension of 15ft.
And was designed to hold 450 people. The Lady Chapel is
beautifully decorated with Bath Stone and coloured marble. Most
of our members played the organ, which was then followed by a
very mouth watering tea!