The major part of the church was built between
1892 and 1897 to the designs of Fulford, Tait and Harvey. The
building was completed in 1929/1930. It is part of the Church
of England but stands firmly in the Catholic or 'high church'
tradition within Anglicanism. At the time of renovation the
Parish Church of Paignton acquired a new organ, and the old
organ was offered to St Andrew's on condition that it was
erected and immediately put to use.