Street Wesleyan Chapel in Torquay decided that the growing
district of Chelston needed a place of worship, and decided to
establish a Society there. The first service in 1887 was held
in a room over a stable in Walnut Road... then moving to a
house called Mapledene. Richard Mallock granted them a lease
on a plot of land where the now Chelston Methodist Church
It was opened in 1893 and comprised of a chapel and seating
for 500 people.