church is dedicated to St. Matthias; his figure flanked by two
angels, is over the North Porch. Following the Ascension,
after prayer, Matthias was chosen by lot to be one of the
apostles, replacing the traitor, Judas Iscariot. St. Matthias
served as a missionary and was martyred. St.
Matthias' was built as a Chapel of Ease of St. Mark's Church,
Torwood and was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter, the Rt.
Rev. Henry Phillpotts, on the 14th October 1858. It
became an independent church and parish in 1880. In 1974, the
Rector of St. Mark's became Priest-in-Charge of Holy Trinity
Church. A few years later these two churches were closed and
in 1979 the Vicar of St. Matthias' became Rector of the
enlarged parish of St. Matthias', St. Mark and Holy Trinity.
The present church is considerably larger than the buildings
of 1858. The South Aisle was added in 1865 and the Chancel
enlarged in 1885. The main change in the considerable
enlargement of the church in width, height and length, the
formation of the West end and the addition of the North Porch
were undertaken in 1894.
The Church Centre was opened 1986 and the Pine Room was added