Crediton Day Outing

 

Home

Album

Diary of Events

 

The Collegiate Church of the Holy Cross and the Mother of Him Who Hung Thereon.


Church of the Holy Cross

The early dedication of the church was to 
St Mary, the present dedication - the Church
of the Holy Cross and the Mother of Him Who Hung Thereon - came into use only after the 1230's.The church was extended in the late C13th by the addition of the Lady Chapel and the Chapter House. Around this time, Bishop Bronescombe (1258-1280) had added to the income of the college by making grants of 
land and houses. This permitted the restoration of the number of canons to 18. 
The church became an important regional centre for prayer and for the making of 
offerings (which bought indulgences). It was also visited by the sick in search of cures. 
A land mine exploded in Newcombes Meadow during the Second World War and some church windows were blown in, but otherwise the building was undamaged. Since the war, the structure of the church has been subject to normal wear and tear, there are on-going campaigns to raise funding for the organ and the bells. (the work has now been done, but more money is needed to pay for it) 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Crediton Congregational Church

The Congregational Church opened in 1865. Records indicate that tenders for building the church were accepted only from its own members living in the town, the result being a fine building to seat 650 people. (Grade II listed)

If there any stops that you've never heard of, or wonder what they are, go to:
www.organstops.org
  

Return to Album