in the 15th century the Church has traces of 13th and 14th
century remains incorporated in the building. A product of the
15th century mason, impressive in it's stately dignity,
grandly proportioned and possessing a strong individuality,
the tower rises 92 feet to it's embattled parapet. The tower
contains one of the finest peal of eight bells in the
The Parish Church of Ashburton, dedicated to St. Andrew, is
situated in West Street, just a short walk from the centre of
the town. The earliest known records of the Church date back
to the 12th Century when John the Chanter, Bishop of Exeter
(1186-91) gave it to the Chapter of Exeter Cathedral.
But the Parish Church is more than a historic building - St.
Andrew's is very much a live centre of Christian worship and
teaching in the town and within the Diocese of Exeter.
It is a
very active partner both locally in "Churches Together in
Ashburton" and also with other Devon churches.
organ at St Andrew's was built by Henry Willis. It was completed 1883,
with further additions being made by Willis in 1901. In 2009 the organ
had served in Ashburton for 126 years. The three manual organ is
situated in the Chapel of St. John the Baptist, it was placed there in
1884. It has been restored several times.
If there any stops that you've never heard of, or wonder what they are, go to:
Return to Album